Wednesday, September 10, 2008

sad night

God has an annoying habit of making me practice what I preach. On Sunday I challenged the students in my Sunday School class to ask the question "Where is God working in this situation?" when they face trials. Tonight we are all pondering that question as we process the news that our student minister, Josh, is leaving in two weeks to take a position at a church in Texas. I do see God working in the midst of this situation, but that doesn't lessen my deep sense of sadness and loss. 

When I was preparing the materials for our Labor Day Retreat, I wrote a devotion for the students and leaders to use on Sunday morning based on Isaiah 55:8-9 - "'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" Josh referenced this passage in his letter of resignation as he expressed how he had wrestled with God over this decision. I don't know what God is thinking in this situation, but I trust that the Father knows best.

No comments: