Wednesday, November 26, 2008

cornbread dressing

Because my mom had to be hospitalized last night due to dehydration - a complication related to chemo side effects - we've had a change in our Thanksgiving plans. Instead of driving to South Carolina today to spend a few days with Paul's family, we have chosen to remain in the Nashville area for the holiday. This is a wise call for several reasons, including the fact that I am still suffering from a bit of post-surgery puniness. Flexibility is the name of the game. 

This will be the first time in over a decade that Paul, Chaney, and I have been at home for Thanksgiving. But every Thanksgiving Day - whether we've been at a beach house on the Gulf Coast, at a log cabin in the Smokies, or at my in-laws' home in Spartanburg - I have been responsible for making the cornbread dressing. Tomorrow will be no different.

As a child, I loved helping Granda and Daddy Bent make the dressing. Daddy Bent and I enjoyed repeatedly sampling the uncooked dressing, in an effort - or so we claimed - to make sure it was properly seasoned. I recall seeing Granda's handwritten recipe for this dish years ago:

Cornbread Dressing
biscuits
cornbread
chopped onions
chopped celery
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans chicken broth
salt
pepper
sage

Crumble biscuits and cornbread together. Add onions and celery. Stir in soup and broth until moistened. Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Precise enough for you? I can't wait to taste it tomorrow - before and after it's cooked.

No comments: