Friday, January 2, 2009

Read the Bible through in 2009

The first time I read the Bible through during the course of a year was in 1981. On New Year's Eve that year I had a babysitting gig at a neighbor's house, and I distinctly remember spending the waning hours of the year hastily reading the entire book of Revelation so that I could make good on my resolution (I had obviously gotten a little bit behind). I also remember that night well because my youth minister had challenged students to fast and pray on December 31, and I couldn't wait until the clock struck midnight so that I could finally consume the chocolate chip cookies I had spied on my neighbor's kitchen counter.

I know I have read through the Bible at least one other time in the intervening years, but I can't recall the year, so that means it's been far too long since I last undertook the challenge. So in 2009 I have resolved to read the Bible through again, and Paul and Chaney have resolved to do the same. I am using one of the Bible reading plans suggested by BibleYear.com. I chose the plan that allows me to read a passage from both the Old and New Testaments each day, while Chaney has chosen to do a chronological reading this year. 

Are you going to read the Bible through in 2009?

1 comment:

Eleanor Stoneham said...

Hi Tambi - have found your website through Wounded Healer Google Alert!

What a wonderful New Year Resolution to read the Bible through in 2009. I shall join you on that one. You may need to dig me sometimes to keep it up!