Monday, February 9, 2009

remembering Lincoln

This morning after arriving at Union Station in Washington, D.C., via a MARC train from Baltimore, I made my way to the lovely Morrison Clark Hotel, my home away from home for the next two days. Since I still had a couple of hours to kill before my Advocacy in Action meetings began, I struck out on foot for the White House. When I arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I watched with interest as workers disassembled the reviewing stands where the Obamas and other dignitaries watched the Inaugural Parade. Next, I visited my favorite shop in D.C., Political Americana, where I browsed through an interesting array of political memorabilia, including a pillowcase emblazoned with our new president's face. I resisted the urge to purchase an Obama bobblehead or an Obama Energy Stick, instead settling for a few new buttons for my collection.

As I walked back to my hotel, I stopped beside New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. I had noticed the church on my way to the White House because of the four banners hanging from the side of the building that read respectively: 
Do justice
Love mercy 
Walk humbly
With your God.
Those words are from Micah 6:8, one of my favorite passages of Scripture. 

As I made a return pass by the church, I spotted a sign marking a stop on the Civil War to Civil Rights Heritage Trail, which I paused to read. During the Civil War, most churches in Washington were occupied by the federal government and used as offices or hospitals. However, President Abraham Lincoln insisted that New York Avenue Presbyterian Church remain open, and he regularly worshipped there. He also occasionally attended a mid-week Bible study at the church, although he chose to sit in an adjacent room with the door ajar so as not to be a distraction. 

As our nation prepares to mark the 200th anniversary of our 16th President's birthday this Thursday, I'm thinking about one of my favorite Lincoln quotes. After a Northern minister remarked how glad he was that God was on the Union's side, the President responded: "Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side." Wise words, indeed.

No comments: