Thursday, May 14, 2009

a little pencil in God's hands

"Very often I feel like a little pencil in God's Hands. He does the writing, He does the thinking, He does the movement, I have only to be the pencil."
Mother Teresa, March 7, 1979

I have just finished reading Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light, a collection of Mother's Teresa's private writings, and "astonishing" is the word that comes to mind. I am astonished by the depths of her passionate love for Christ and her vow to "not refuse Him anything." I am astonished by her sacrifice, her vow of absolute poverty. I am astonished to discover from her own words the depths of her personal spiritual darkness, yet this interior darkness never extinguished the light of Christ that gleamed so brightly through her life in the dark holes of the slums of Calcutta.

A little pencil in God's hands. An astounding image of submission. Am I content to be such a pencil - allowing God to do the writing, the thinking, and the movement? 

No comments: