Saturday, June 6, 2009

10 years ago today

On June 6, 1999, during the invitation time of the Sunday morning worship service at First Baptist Nashville, I stepped out of my pew (third row, piano side) and walked forward to announce to the congregation that I believed God was calling me into ministry. The following January, I began my studies at Beeson Divinity School, unsure of exactly what God was calling me to do but confident that He had a plan. Over the next four and half years, I commuted approximately 100,000 miles in my quest to earn a Master of Divinity degree. In May 2004, with my cap perched precariously on my head, I crossed the stage at the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex and received my diploma.

As I reflect on the decade that has elapsed since I made my call to ministry public, I can clearly see how the Lord has directed my path. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been afforded to use my gifts in ministry, yet I long to do more. I don't know what the next decade will hold, but I am confident that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6).

No comments: