Wednesday, July 29, 2009

a salute to Galen Clark

Often when I walk on the trails around Radnor Lake, I silently give thanks to God for the people who worked diligently to preserve this gem of a park from development. On Tuesday afternoon when I got my first glimpse of Yosemite Valley from Glacier Point, I wanted to shout with joy to thank God for Galen Clark, the man who is not only responsible for preserving the Yosemite area – including Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias – but also for launching the nationwide preservation movement that resulted in the establishment of America's National Park System. I learned about Galen Clark from Ranger Phaedra Stefankas, who enlightened the crowd that had gathered at Glacier Point for sunset about Yosemite’s history. Thanks to Clark’s efforts, the breathtaking Yosemite Valley and the awe-inspiring Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias initially became the heart of a state park, an action that became official when President Abraham Lincoln, in the midst of the Civil War, signed the papers to approve the grant. A San Francisco newspaper began spreading the word about the wonders of Yosemite, and soon other visionaries, like John Muir, joined the effort to preserve areas of unique natural beauty across America.

This fall Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan will release their latest documentary project – a film about America’s national parks. It is fitting that footage of Yosemite Falls will be featured in the opening sequence of the film. In the latest issue of National Geographic’s Adventure magazine, Burns observes that our national parks aren’t simply places that our nation has preserved; they are “also something we’ve accomplished: one of America’s best ideas.” I wholeheartedly agree. And gauged by the number of international visitors who joined my family at Glacier Point last night to watch the sun set on Half Dome, I would say the world agrees that the establishment of America’s National Park System was indeed a grand idea.

“I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.” Psalm 9:1

No comments: