Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Welsh melody

When I accompanied the Class of 2009 from First Baptist Nashville on their mission trip to Wales in July, our team visited the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch on the island of Anglesey. This memorable name means "St. Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave" and is officially the longest recognized place name in the United Kingdom. During our obligatory stop at James Pringle Weavers Visitor Centre, I recognized a tune being played by the harpist who was situated near the snack bar. This was a hymn tune, one that I knew I could find in The Baptist Hymnal, but for the life of me I couldn't recall the title of the hymn. On the drive back to our holiday homes in Pwhelli, the other sponsors and I repeatedly hummed the tune and tried to conjure up the words to the hymn, but only fragments came to mind.

This morning when I awoke, I realized that I was once again humming this tune. Why was it lodged in my mind, I wondered? Then I suddenly remembered: As Paul and I walked down the aisle to join Immanuel Baptist Church last Sunday, this was the very hymn that the congregation was singing. Hymn #497 in the 1991 edition of the The Baptist Hymnal is "The Master Hath Come"- Words: Sarah Doudney (1841-1926); Tune: ASH GROVE; Music: Welsh Melody.

I particularly love the second stanza of this hymn:
"The Master hath called us; the road may be dreary,
And dangers and sorrows are strewn on the track;
But God's Holy Spirit shall comfort the weary;
We follow the Savior and cannot turn back;
The Master hath called us: tho' doubt and temptation
May compass our journey, we cheerfully sing:
'Press onward, look upward,' thro' much tribulation;
The children of Zion must follow their King."

Pressing onward, looking upward, I follow my King.

No comments: