Monday, August 11, 2008

In the beginning

Today is a day of firsts - my son's first day of his senior year of high school and my first day to blog. As Chaney gets back into the daily routine of school, I am attempting to get back into the groove of having a somewhat regular schedule myself. After hearing Barbara Brown Taylor speak about writing at the Festival of Homiletics in Minneapolis in May, I was convicted (once again) that I need to discipline myself to write every day - and not just when I have deadlines. 

I had thought that perhaps today would be bittersweet for me as my one and only child began the homestretch of his high school education, but, surprisingly, I was excited for him. It dawned on me this morning that even if he were packing boxes for college this week instead of loading a backpack for a day of high school, I would feel confident that he was ready for the challenge. Obviously, I am grateful that I still have another year with him at home before he heads to the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, but he is a very mature young man, and I couldn't be prouder of him.

This morning, The Tennessean featured a front page story titled "Church for sale: no reasonable offer refused." The article discussed what happens to church buildings in Nashville after congregations decide to relocate to the suburbs or are disbanded. The reporter noted that former church structures in Nashville have been "recycled" in a range of ways, including: a strip club, a bar, a pawnshop, and law offices. I immediately recalled a mission trip that my family took to England in 1997, during which we spotted several former church buildings that were being used as bars. My thoughts also turned to another lecture I heard at the Festival of Homiletics - this one by Michael Slaughter.

Mike Slaughter is "the chief dreamer and lead pastor" of Ginghamsburg Church in Tipp City, Ohio (www.mikeslaughter.com). God is using this United Methodist congregation, which was founded in 1863, to radically change lives around the world. In additional to sponsoring a variety of ministries that serve "the least of these" in their local community, in 2005 the church initiated The Sudan Project (http://ginghamsburg.org/sudan). In 36 months the church has provided nearly $3 million for the Darfur relief effort. While I was inspired by this congregation's global vision and generosity, I was also intrigued by another facet of their ministry - an intentional effort to reclaim abandoned church buildings in their area and plant new congregations. Perhaps the most fascinating part of this process is the way the church develops leaders for these new churches: Ginghamsburg sends a core group of laypeople to "seed" the new congregation, and after a year one of those individuals becomes the pastor. Interesting concept. What congregation is willing to do something like this in Nashville?

Yesterday I do believe that I watched more consecutive hours of television than ever before. I have been captivated by these Olympic Games since the mind-boggling Opening Ceremony, and I just couldn't turn the TV off last night until the broadcast ended. Clearly, the U.S. team's breathtaking, gold medal-winning, come-from-behind finish in the 4x100 swimming relay more than compensated for my lost hour of sleep. My favorite relay team member is Cullen Jones, a Bronx-born 24-year-old. Jones is only the third African-American in history to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Swim Team. When Jones was 5 years old, he nearly drowned on a visit to a waterpark. When he capsized on his inner tube at the bottom of a water slide, he panicked. His father jumped in and pulled him out, and a lifeguard performed CPR on the unconscious boy to revive him. Rather than causing him to fear the water, this experience prompted Jones to learn how to swim, and now he is passionate about teaching African-American youth how to swim. After watching last night's relay, how many more children will be motivated to learn how to swim? This story brings Romans 8:28 to mind, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Barnabas File said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

zdwyatt said...

Did you know that Romans is my favorite book of the Bible? I know, everyone's always going on about Ecclesiastes. But Romans is where it's at.