Tuesday, August 26, 2008

a woman's right to vote

Today America celebrates the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. It is difficult for me fathom that when my grandmother was born in 1918, women were still being denied this essential right in America. My home state of Tennessee played a decisive role in this 72-year political campaign, which began at the first Women's Rights Convention at the Wesleyan Chapel in Seneca Falls, New York. On this day 88 years ago, the Tennessee General Assembly became the 36th state to ratify the Woman Suffrage Amendment, thus securing the three-fourths majority required to amend the U.S. Constitution.

I vote every time I have the opportunity to do so - I can't recall an election that I have failed to vote in. I simply don't understand Americans who fail to exercise their right to vote - especially those who complain vociferously about the government. My son has been looking forward to voting since he was very young, and he is thrilled that he will turn 18 just two weeks before this year's presidential election, thus allowing him to at last participate in this nation's electoral process. 

Several years ago my family visited the Women's Rights National Historic Park in Seneca Falls. If you're ever in the area, I would highly recommend a visit to this jewel of a park. The most moving part of our visit for me was our stop at the Waterwall, a 100-foot bluestone wall on which is inscribed the text of the Declaration of Sentiments, along with the names of the 68 women and 32 men who signed it on July 20, 1848. In honor of those courageous 100 Americans, here is an excerpt from that historic document:

"Now, in view of this entire disfranchisement of one-half the people of this country, their social and religious degradation, in view of the unjust laws above mentioned, and because women do feel themselves aggrieved, oppressed, and fraudulently deprived of their most sacred rights, we insist that they have immediate admission to all the rights and privileges which belong to them as citizens of these United States. In entering upon the great work before us, we anticipate no small amount of misconception, misrepresentation, and ridicule; but we shall use every instrumentality within our power to effect our object. We shall employ agents, circulate tracts, petition the State and national Legislatures, and endeavor to enlist the pulpit and the press in our behalf. We hope this Convention will be followed by a series of Conventions, embracing every part of the country. Firmly relying upon the final triumph of the Right and the True, we do this day affix our signatures to this declaration."

When I enter the voting booth on November 4, I will silently thank God for Lucretia Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the others who battled so courageously to secure this right for me. The Right and True triumphed indeed!

No comments: