Friday, August 28, 2009

walk and pray

The single biggest challenge I have faced in the two weeks that have elapsed since Paul and I moved Chaney into his dorm room at the University of Tennessee has been rhythmic in nature. After spending nearly 19 years building my life around my son's schedule, I suddenly had the opportunity to develop a new rhythm of daily life. In recent days I have relished the opportunity to renew my commitment to walk regularly at Radnor Lake, a practice I had abandoned in the summer due to three student ministry trips and a family vacation.

Radnor Lake is my sanctuary - the place where I sense God's presence most acutely. As I have walked down Otter Creek Road along the lake's southern shoreline recently, my mind has drifted back to the countless prayers I have uttered in this park in years past. I remember when I began to pray regularly for the Class of 2009 at my church - back when these students were still in middle school - and I recall many of the specific requests that I lifted up day after day on their behalf. As these students begin their freshman year of college, I am overwhelmed with gratitude to God for the myriad of ways He answered all those prayers.

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know" (Jeremiah 33:3). I have so much more to learn. Confident that God hears my prayers, I will continue to walk and pray.

No comments: