Monday, August 31, 2009

transition

The word "transition" came up yet again in a discussion over the weekend. Verily, my cup has runneth over with transitions during the past 18 months. These transitions didn't have the decency to space themselves out; instead, I have been forced to deal with multiple transitions simultaneously. Yet, I have determined that transition is not a dirty word.

In the transition discussion this weekend, a wise woman who has been experiencing her own cavalcade of change observed that she has come to view each transition as an opportunity. I concur. Often, transitional periods are times marked by grief, but they can also be times of great growth. I have learned to look for the new thing God is trying to teach me in each transition, and I try to trace His activity in my life as I recall how He has prepared me to face a given change. Transitions are clearly teachable moments, and I know from firsthand experience "that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:3-4).

No comments: