Tuesday, September 1, 2009

walking on a leash

On my morning walk at Radnor Lake, I encountered a young woman who was trying to walk a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel on a leash. I emphasize the word "trying" because the woman was heading up the hill while the puppy was attempting to travel in the opposite direction. When the woman saw me watching her struggle, she explained with a smile, "We're still trying to learn how to walk on a leash."

As I watched the dog straining to distance himself from his master, a stanza from Robert Robinson's classic hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" popped into my mind:
"O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above."

Like the spaniel, I'm still learning how to walk on a leash. Like the spaniel, I am prone to wander. Like the spaniel, I need to be bound to my Master.

No comments: