Friday, September 11, 2009

praying the Psalms

I have recently returned to the practice of using Robert Benson's book Venite during my times of prayer. The book grew out of Benson's personal attempt to find a way to participate in the ancient prayer. I love the rhythms of the daily Offices, and even as I offer these prayers alone, I am aware that countless others are observing the same practice, praying the same words privately and corporately in faith communities around the world. The pattern of praise, confession, hearing the Word, and going forth is profoundly meaningful. I particularly love praying through the psalms in a 31-day cycle, and the timelessness of the psalmist's words never ceases to amaze me.

When I awoke this morning, I was mindful of the date - September 11. My mind drifted back to the events of 2001, and I prayed for those whose grief is heightened by this anniversary. Then I opened Venite and began to observe the Morning Office. The first of the three psalms to be read for the morning of the eleventh day of the month is Psalm 56: "Have mercy on us, for our enemy is hounding us. All day long the enemy assaults us and oppresses us. But whenever we are afraid, we shall put our trust in You. In You, Whose Word we praise, in You we trust and will not be afraid. You have noted our lamentations, and collected our tears in Your bottle. Are they not recorded in Your book?"

How those words must have resonated in the hearts and minds of those who uttered the ancient prayer on that morning eight years ago! Once again, God's Word strikes a deep chord. "In You, whose Word we praise, in You we trust and will not be afraid." Good words for the day. God's Word for the day.

No comments: