Sunday, October 19, 2008

green light

This morning my pastor preached about being burned out. While undoubtedly there were many people in the pews who related to his message, I realized as I contemplated his words that I am anything but burned out. In fact, the image that came to my mind as I listened to the sermon was one of a driver who is sitting at a red light, impatiently revving her engine while waiting to see green so she can continue her journey as quickly as possible. As I pondered that image, a quotation popped into my head, one that I first read about a decade ago when my family visited Daytona International Speedway. The words are attributed to NASCAR founder Bill France, Sr., and were posted in large letters on a wall in an exhibit area: "On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of millions who, when within the grasp of victory sat and waited, and waiting, died.” 

I am determined not to linger on the plains of hesitation. I know there are times when God wants us to wait, and there are great lessons to be learned in the waiting. But I'm watching for the green light (or green flag, if you prefer a NASCAR term), and I'll be ready to hit the gas when I see it.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart" Hebrews 12:1-3.

No comments: