Monday, October 6, 2008

two red things

I always have two red things in my car - a tassel and a bracelet. I hung the red tassel from my rearview mirror in May 2004, and I placed the red bracelet around my gear shift in the summer of 2006. 

The red tassel hung on the black cap that was perched precariously on my head during Samford University's Commencement on Saturday, May 22, 2004, at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena. The presence of the tassel annoys my husband, who prefers to wrap it around the rearview mirror so it can't swing freely while he drives my car. But the tassel remains because it reminds me of God's call, His provision, and His protection. God called me to go to Beeson Divinity School to work on a Master of Divinity degree, He faithfully provided the resources for me to do so, and He protected me as I commuted twice a week between Nashville and Birmingham for four years (and 100,000 miles). The tassel reminds me that when I am willing to step out in faith and trust God to lead and empower me, He is able to do immeasurably more than I ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within me (Ephesians 3:20).

The red bracelet is made of plastic and emblazoned with the word "Courage." Debbie Harned's family and friends began wearing these bracelets when she began treatment for a rare form of cancer in January 2006. Since I do a lot of praying in my car, I eventually decided to place my bracelet in my car to prompt me to pray for Debbie and her family. Throughout her battle with the disease, Debbie continued to minister to others, even as they attempted to minister to her. Debbie was one of my mentors, and I deeply miss the lunches we shared in the physicians' cafeteria at Baptist Hospital where she served as a chaplain. Today when I look at that red bracelet on my gear shift, I remember Debbie's courage and take courage myself, recalling the words of one of Debbie's favorite verses of Scripture: "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure" (Hebrews 6:19).

Two red things in a green car - powerful, portable, personal symbols of God's faithfulness.

No comments: