Monday, October 6, 2008

the humility of untitled ministry

I am still processing my experiences from the CBF-sponsored Women's Spiritual Formation Retreat that I attended last week in Atlanta. The retreat provided me with a remarkable - not to mention rare - opportunity to spend time with over 40 Baptist clergywomen (both ordained and unordained) who are using their God-given gifts in a variety of ways in ministry. My favorite job title was "Minister to Young Adults and of Creative Discipleship," but there were also pastors, associate pastors, ministers of music, church administrators, ministers for every age group, and chaplains in attendance.

Dr. Molly Marshall, president of Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City (the only female president of a Baptist seminary in this hemisphere), was one of the retreat speakers. Dr. Marshall is a hero to many Baptist women (and men) because of the way she gracefully persevered persecution within the Southern Baptist Convention. The first time I heard Dr. Marshall preach was at the Tennessee Cooperative Baptist Fellowship General Assembly in April 2006, and I was eager to hear her again. I was not disappointed. She is a brilliant theologian and a wonderful role model for women in ministry.

In a panel discussion during the final teaching session of the retreat, Dr. Marshall acknowledged the challenges that women in ministry face, and she encouraged us to persevere. "Begin with the humility of untitled ministry," she advised us. "It will open a pathway." Then she added, "God remembers He called you to ministry." I know I needed to hear those words. I'll bet I'm not alone.

No comments: